Westminster Barley Creates Resurgence in Western Victorian Barley SowingsHarvest Declaration Form

February 2, 2012

After several years of disappointing barley yields in Western Victoria, farmers are planning to increase barley sowings as a result of the success of Westminster Barley in 2011.  Over the past few seasons we have seen barley sowings diminish throughout Western Victoria due to poor returns.  Gairdner has been the main stream barley throughout Western Victoria for the past decade. However, a breakdown in disease resistance coupled with poor grain quality and lodging resistance has seen a move away from barley production in the region.   

May growers were conservative about adopting a new variety after Gairdner leaving a bad taste for barley.  Westminster has far exceeded growers expectations this season with excellent yield and quality results across the board.  In many cases returns from Westminster have matched or exceeded that of wheat crops around the district.  Westminster sets a new benchmark for medium to high rainfall zone malt barley varieties. Excellent agronomic adaptation combined with exceptional grain and malt quality offers a great deal of added value to all segments of the supply chain.  The excellent disease profile, standability and consistently high yields makes Westminster a prime candidate for Dryland/Irrigated cropping systems throughout Eastern Australia.

The 2011/12 season produced in excess of 20,000mt of Westminster Barley in Victorias Western District with 80% achieving malt 1 standard with low protein being the stoping point for the other 20%. Reports from growers to date indicate an average yield of 5mt/ha across autumn plantings and spring planting averaging in excess of 3t/ha.  Yields have been reported to be in excess of 7t/ha in some regions.

With such a successful season during 2011/12 Westminster plantings are expected to expand to over 44,000/ha for the 2012/13 season. An additional 3-4 segregation are planned to be available in the Western District / Wimmera regions as well as current segregations at ABA Tatyoon & ABA Werneth to support additional grower tonnages.